The management of the Europa-Institut will assist you with your accommodation, enrollment at the University of Saarland, insurance questions, etc. It is very important that all registration forms and documents are submitted to the appropriate authorities in good time.

In addition, you will receive support from the 
International Office of the University of Saarland regarding registration in the Citizenship Office and a request for a residence permit.

The International Office is located on the campus in building A4 4 in the Campus Center.

Notrufnummern | General emergency numbers in Germany:

Unfall | Accident, Feuer | Fire           112
Polizei | Police                                        110

Universität des Saarlandes | Saarland University
Campus, Geb. B2 1 | Building B2
D-66123 Saarbrücken

Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-3653
Fax: +49 (0) 681 302-4369
E-mail: LLM@europainstitut.de

Studierendensekretariat | Admissions Office
Geb. A4 2, Erdgeschoss | Building A4 2, Ground floor
Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-5491
Fax: +49 (0) 681 302-4478
E-mail: anmeldungunivw.uni-saarland.de

International Office
Campus Center, Geb. A 4 4 | Campus Center, Building A4 4

Postfach 15 11 50
D-66041 Saarbrücken

Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-71100
Fax: +49 (0) 681 302-71101

Zentrum für Internationale Studierende (ZiS) | Center for International Students
Geb. A4 4, 2. OG, Zi. 2.40 | Building A4 4, Second Floor, Room 2.40
Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-71113

Master's College
Service Point for international Master's students
Geb. A3 2, Zimmer 4 | Building A3 2, Room 4
Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-13

Studentenwerk | Student's Union (Accomodation)
Geb. D4 1, UG, Zi. 0.03 | Building D4 1, Room 0.03
Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-2800

Sprachenzentrum | Language Center
Geb. C5 4, Ebenen 2 und 3 / Building C5 4, Second and Third Floor
Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-5432

Psychologische Beratungsstelle | Psychological Advisory Service
Geb. A4 4, 2. Etage/ Building A4 4, Second Floor
Tel.: +49 (0) 681 302-2515

Bürgeramt City | Community Center
Gerberstraße 4
66111 Saarbrücken
Tel.: +49 (0) 681 9050
E-mail: buergeramt@saarbruecken.de

Zentrale Ausländerbehörde | Foreign Citizen's Authority
Landesverwaltungsamt - Zentrale Ausländerbehörde Saarbrücken
Lebacher Str. 6a
66113 Saarbrücken

Deutsche Post (Hauptstelle Saarbrücken) | Post Office
Am Hauptbahnhof 16-18
66111 Saarbrücken
Duweilerstraße 17
66111 Saarbrücken

Ärzte sowie viele andere hilfreiche Adressen finden Sie in den Gelben Seiten. /
Doctors as well as other helpful addresses can be found in the Yellow Pages Germany: www.gelbeseiten.de.

Informationen zu Saarbrücken und Umgebung sowie zu allen Ämtern und aktuellen Ereignissen im Großraum Saarbrücken finden Sie unter www.saarbruecken.de. | Information on Saarbrücken and the region, on administrative offices and on current events can be found on www.saarbruecken.de.

Über aktuelle Ereignisse und Veranstaltungen in Saarbrücken und Umgebung können Sie sich auf den Seiten der Saarbrücker Zeitung unter www.meinsol.de/termine.phtml informieren. | Information on current events can also be found on www.meinsol.de/termine.phtml

ALL international students must see to a number of formalities following their arrival in Germany, in order to secure their residence. As such, they are required to register themselves at the local registration office ("Einwohnermeldeamt") within the first week of their stay. The Einwohnermeldeamt is in the citizen center ("Bürgeramt").

Please note that you must notify the Einwohnermeldeamt every time you move and that you must de-register prior to leaving Germany!

You will require the following documents in order to register:

  • Your passport or ID card, which must be valid for the whole of your stay!
  • The rent contract for your accommodation in Germany, or a confirmation of the rental relationship from your landlord;
  • Two biometric passport photos; 
  • Certificate of matriculation; 
  • Evidence of adequate financial resources; 
  • Cash, for any fees that are payable.

You will be provided with the required forms etc. on site. 

Bürgeramt City | Citizen Center

Local Registration Office ("Einwohnermeldeamt")
Gerberstraße 4
66111 Saarbrücken
Tel.: +49 (0)681/9050
E-mail: buergeramt(at)saarbruecken.de

Get a Residence Permit from the Foreign Citizen's Authority ("Ausländerbehörde")

EU and EEA nationals (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) do not require a visa and therefore need not register themselves at the Ausländerbehörde. However, they are nevertheless required to register at the local registration office ("Einwohnermeldeamt", for details see above).

Foreign students who are non-EU or EEA citizens (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway), are required to present their visa at the Ausländerbehörde in order to have it exchanged for a residence permit for education purposes ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Studienzwecke"). Please make sure to ask which documents are required for your appointment. The secretariat at the Europa-Institut will be glad to help you with scheduling an appointment.

Zentrale Ausländerbehörde | Foreign Citizen's Authority
Landesverwaltungsamt - Zentrale Ausländerbehörde Saarbrücken

Lebacher Str. 6a
66113 Saarbrücken
E-mail: poststelle.sb(at)lava.saarland.de

Generally speaking, foreign students may only work for a total of 90 days per year, or alternatively 180 half-days per year (that is, a maximum of four hours per day), without obtaining a formal work permit. For a job as an academic assistant at the University, no work permit is needed (§ 16(3) of the German Residence Law- "Aufenthaltsgesetz"). However, it is required that students are in possession of the foreign authorization ("ausländerrechtliche Genehmigung"), issued by the competent alien's authority ("Ausländerbehörde") and stated on their residence title ("Aufenthaltstitel").

A remunerated activity which exceeds the tasks of an academic assistant or the time period stated above, is not allowed. Exceptions can only be made for temporary emergency situations or if special reasons are named. However, even then, students have no entitlement to such a right. 

There is no limit on employment for EU citizens, other than compliance with the usual study regulations. (Since 1 January 2014, students from the "new" EU member states Bulgaria and Romania no longer need a permit from the employment agency (“Agentur für Arbeit”)).

We would recommend opening a bank account in Germany so that transactions between Germany and your home country, as well as within Germany (for example, payment of rent, health insurance contributions etc.), are completed more easily, quickly and, in particular, as cheaply as possible. You can open an account in Germany as soon as you have a permanent address in Saarbrücken and successfully registered yourself at the local registration office.


Ensure that you open a current account for students - "Girokonto für Studierende" - and enquire about the fees for the account, how much transfers and direct debits will cost you, and which overdraft facilities are available and at what cost, in case you ever need to overdraw your account. Current accounts for students are usually free and any other standard services should also be cheap or exempt from charges!

Electronic Cash Card

You will receive an "EC-Karte" (Electronic Cash Card) from your bank. This is a direct debit card which allows you to withdraw money at cash machines almost everywhere in Germany. Take care: Withdrawing money from banks in the same "Cash group" as your own bank is usually free, or at least cheaper, than withdrawing money from other banks. Another option is to transfer money to Germany from home using any of the normal methods; however this is often expensive and slow.

You should ensure that you have sufficient money with you to cover the first few weeks of your stay, whether in traveler’s checks or through your credit card and/or funds in your account at home. We suggest that you check with your bank at home, prior to traveling, whether your debit or credit card allows you to withdraw money in Germany and how much doing so will cost you.

Credit Cards

Credit cards are generally accepted almost everywhere, even for small amounts. However, it is important to remember that smaller shops and restaurants may only accept cash or debit cards.

International Study Centre Saar (ISZ Saar)

In order to prepare students for studying in Germany, the International Office offers German courses. Courses are levelled at international students, study applicants and university graduates.

More information can be found here.

Language Center

There is also the possibility of undertaking further language courses at the Language Center of the University. The Center offers a large selection of language courses for beginners and for those of an advanced level. The courses span 2 to 4 hours a week and are held during the semester. They are free of charge for all students matriculated at Saarland University.

Further information on the language courses on offer can be found under www.szsb.uni-saarland.de.

Tip: The Europa-Institut also offers course-related Language Courses in German, English and French.

As a student at the Europa-Institut, you will be required to matriculate yourself at Saarland University.

A fee is payable to the University for this purpose. After a few days, you will be able to matriculate yourself and print your certificate of matriculation at one of the designated machines. You will need those certificates for example to register yourself at the local registration office ("Einwohnermeldeamt").

More information can be found on the website of the university:

Students from the EU who are insured at home through their statutory insurance system will require a European Health Insurance Card - EHIC. The card is issued by your insurer in your home country and identifies you as being insured by them. You must present the EHIC to a local German health insurance company and will receive written confirmation stating that you will be exempt from costs. This confirmation document is required for the matriculation procedure. 


Possession of the EHIC means that you are practically on an equal footing with German students. You must take the card with you each time you see a doctor. The costs of your treatment will then be forwarded to your health insurance company. Taking out private additional insurance may also be advantageous, for example for services that go beyond the basics, such as transport to your home country in case of illness or guaranteed coverage of all medical costs. If you are privately insured in your home country, confirmation of this, issued by your health insurance company, will suffice as proof.


Students from countries outside of the EU are required to take out insurance, at the student rate, with a German health insurance company. In Germany, there is statutory and private health insurance. Private insurers now often also offer special rates for foreign students. We would generally recommend that students aged below 30 opt for statutory health insurance. The rates of all statutory health insurances are the same. Further information can be found under https://www.daad.de/deutschland/in-deutschland/regeln/en/8839-organising-health-insurance/ 

The state capital of Saarland is located at the heart of the European Union, and is closely connected to its European neighbors France and Luxembourg, holding a position as both a trade and exhibition center beyond its city and county borders. Cinemas, museums, theaters, concerts, opera, ballet – Saarbrücken certainly has something to offer on many levels. Annual artistic highlights include festivals such as the film festival “Max Ophüls Preis“ and the festival “Perspectives“.

Furthermore, galleries and museums open their doors to the interested visitor throughout the year. Culinary festivals also attract many visitors. Highlights are the “Primeur-Weinfest“, a wine festival, and the “Altstadtfest“, a festival in the historical part of the town with culinary specialties, live music and events. Saarbrücken҆s castleis also well worth a visit with its terraces that enable an amazing view of the city.

More informationen on Saarbrücken and the Saarland can be found on  www.saarbruecken.de and https://www.urlaub.Saarland/ 

There is a "Hot Spot Map" to download for party spots.

There are several food outlets on campus, open Monday to Friday. In addition to the main University canteen, known as the Mensa, which offers a variety of lunches and dinners, there is the "Sportlermensa" and various smaller cafés and canteens. There is also a small supermarket on campus, which is ideal for stocking up on food and drink.

The Mensa and the Mensacafé are situated in Building D4 1. Prices depend on the meal in question and start at 1,80 €. The canteen is set out as a free-flow-area and the choices comprise of a wok and barbeque area, salad bar, drink station and further self-service areas. There is a daily selection of five different meals, including a meat-free option, a fish dish, a low-fat meal and a very reasonably priced plated meal. In addition, a 3-course meal and full vegetarian meal option are also always available.

Further information on the other cafés and canteens can be found under www.uni-saarland.de/campus/service-und-kultur/gastronomieaufdemcampus.html.

Public Transport

The student ID card, which you receive upon Matriculation, allows you to use several types of public transport. The fee for the ID card includes your social security contribution and the semester ticket, which allows you to use public transport within the Saarland, free of charge. The ID card is only valid for use on public transport and the rights conveyed are personal to you.

The semester ticket is valid for only one semester, i.e. from 1 October of the academic year in question to the following 30 March and then from 1 April to 30 September. The fee comprises the social security contribution and the semester ticket and is payable again before commencement of the second semester. The ID card is then renewed as result. 

The semester ticket is valid on all buses and local trains ("Regional-Bahn", "Regional-Express" and "Saarbahn") in Saarland. It is not valid on main-line, long-distance trains ("Inter-City", "Euro-City" and "Inter-City Express"). It is possible to travel to Zweibrücken on the regional trains and to Saargemünd on the Saarbahn. The validity of the semester ticket extends to Zweibrücken and Waldmohr on the circuit of the regional buses of the RSW ("Saar-Westpfalz GmbH"). For timetable, route information and further details, please see www.saarbahn.de.


The semester ticket is valid, to a certain extent, on routes of the Deutsche Bahn. You can travel by train from Saarbrücken to anywhere in Germany and Europe (for example to Paris, on the Inter-City Express, in under two hours!). More information is available under www.bahn.de.


There are several airports in the vicinity of Saarbrücken. The airport Saarbrücken-Ensheim offers several destinations inside and outside of Germany such as Berlin-Tegel, Hamburg, Luxembourg, Mallorca, Seville and Stockholm. Further information can be found under www.flughafen-saarbruecken.de.

Frankfurt-Hahn airport is also not too far away. Flights to numerous international destinations are operated from there. See www.ryan-air.com for more information. 

Frankfurt am Main airport is also easily accessible by car or by train. Further information is available under www.flughafen-frankfurt.de.

Whether you require a visa and a residence permit to enter Germany depends on your nationality and the reason for your stay. Please contact a German embassy or consulate in your home country, or the country you are currently staying in, regarding any current entry and resident requirements.

The addresses of all German embassies and consulates can be found online under www.auswaertiges-amt.de.

Please do this well in advance of coming to Germany as the visa process takes several weeks. Exceptions are citizens from EU countries, the EEA counties Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and the USA who do not require a visa to enter Germany but who must apply for a residence permit from the foreigner registration office after arriving in Germany and register with the local authorities. It is important not to apply for a Schengen visa ("tourist visa").

Visas must be obtained before arrival in Germany and can be requested at your local German embassy or consulate. Please check which documents are required for the application process and make sure to organize your visa arrangements as early as possible: the process is not always quick!

There are several low-cost accommodation options for the time of your stay in Germany. You can either rent a room or apartment in student accommodation (please note you will have to be quick to secure accommodation there!), search for a room in shared student accommodation, or rent your own appartment.

Please remember to inspect the premises before you move in, and to take a formal note of any potential damage or shortcomings, wherever possible in presence of the landlord. Also consider that you are likely to have to give notice to terminate your rent contract well before leaving Germany - the period of notice is usually three months.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure that accommodation is one of the first things you sort out!

When arriving in Saarbrücken, you could stay for the first few days at the Youth Hostel Saarbrücken Jugendherberge, Meerwiesertalweg 31, 66123 Saarbrücken, Phone: + 49 (0) 681-33040